- Experience required prior training: None
- Certification required prior training: VHF/SRC
- Minimum age required: 16 years old
- Equipment requirements: Power boat up to 12 m long, able to plane
- Suggested number of training hours: 25 hours (including 6 h practice)
- Who can run the training: ISSA Instructor
- Who can do the examination: ISSA Instructor
- How to submit the application: To authorised ISSA school only
Qualifications obtained after the course:
Skipper power boats: – up to 12 m long (with inboard our outboard engine) – day time – conditions up to 6 B degrees – up to 10 mile from shore
Skills and knowledge required for a Boat Master
• Can fill up the water and fuel tanks;
• Can operate the engine; ° Start is; ° Switch it off; ° Check operation of cooling system; ° Check oil level; ° Top up engine oil; ° Check cooling fluid level; ° Top up cooling fluid level; ° Find bottom valves; ° Recognize the breakdown of impeller in cooling system and possibly replace it; ° Check whether alternator is charging batteries when engine is working.
• Knows elementary equipment of yacht: ° Echo-sounder (location, operation, typical errors); ° Log; ° Steering system;
• Can combine two lines of the same and different diameter;
• Can make: ° Bowline; ° Fast a line on a cleat; ° Fishermen’s bend; ° Coil mooring lines;
• Can: ° Pass, take, make fast on cleat, let go mooring lines; ° Throw mooring lines; ° Describe different ways of taking a mooring.
• Can: ° Fix the fenders using adequate knots; ° Effectively apply the manouvering fender;
• Can: ° Prepare the anchor for weighing; ° Select safe location for staying at anchor; ° Apply rules for safe anchoring (4xdepth, anchor alarm/watch); ° Distinguish different types of anchors and their characteristics.
• Can: ° Perform the safety briefing: – How to move on deck; – How to apply personnal safety equipment (harness, jackstay, etc.); – Apply distress signalling equipment (pyrotechnics, flags, etc.); – Different methods to send distress signal; – Make a distress call with help of VHF; – Knows procedures to be applied in restricted visibility; – Basic knowledge about SAR procedures (RIB, helicopter); – First Aid Kit (location and content).